setting ntp with dhcp

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Oct 1 15:24:27 UTC 2021

Hi Giovane, a time server is a required DHCP option for DOCSIS devices.
This uses the older TIME protocol (UDP port 37, RFC 868). However, it's
common for DOCSIS devices like MTAs, STBs, etc to also request and use
NTP server addresses received via DHCP (they may apply this using SNTP
rather than a fully fledged NTP client).

As one data point, Google Fiber (a large GPON based ISP in USA) provides
NTP servers to customers via DHCP. We actually had to contact them as
they were providing a set of server addresses where one or more of the
servers was no longer reachable. Some of our VoIP telephones used by
employees did not like receiving bad info and would intermittently fail
to register. Google Fiber was able to remove the bad info from their
DHCP replies. We've seen some similar behavior in other networks so now
I believe we prefer to ignore/override the DHCP provided NTP info with
known good server addresses (it seems too common for NTP to simply be
ignored/overlooked by network operators and users).

--Blake