IPv6 woes - RFC

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 1 04:00:56 UTC 2021

> On Sep 30, 2021, at 19:35 , Victor Kuarsingh <victor at jvknet.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 10:01 PM Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu <mailto:valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu>> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:09:26 -0400, Victor Kuarsingh said:
>
> > - Both providers provide IPv6 and delegate a prefix to the router (let's
> > pretend the retail staff knew enough to sell this person a consumer box
> > with 2x WAN interfaces)
>
> Just to make it clear, I would love it all to work really well and by default.  But I also look at the reality and don't over estimate how proficient consumers will be.

No reason it can’t. The limitations on this are not in the protocol or the specifications at this point. CPE is another matter. It’s never been particularly good at IPv4, let alone IPv6.

> So... do such boxes exist in any great quantity?
>
> Not in great quantity.  But for the fun of it, I ran down to the local BestBuy recently and they offered me a dual WAN router (only one type) in stock.  So, I guess sufficient supply?

How well did it handle IPv6?

> Do consumers who can't add a valid number after 'IPv' accidentally contract for
> Internet service from two different providers often? Do they intentionally do
> that often?
>
> Likely not accidentally, but the router they showed me (will not say what brand on this list) showed a "WAN" and "WAN/DMZ" port, so just as clear as any other port markings for consumer grade connections.

I’m an expert and that’s not clear to me. Which one is primary, which one is secondary?

Does that second notation mean WAN and DMZ, or does it mean WAN OR DMZ?

WAN+DMZ on same port seems an odd combination. OTOH, “OR” would imply a need to configure it one way or the other and for the consumer to understand the concept of a DMZ network and…

> It sounds like a sufficiently rare situation that "clueless lawyer/whatever
> hires somebody with clue for 2 hours work to configure it all" is a reasonable
> solution.
>
> Yes, I suspect that may happen. How many clueful IPv6 folks do we suspect service this market which are available at a cost most will be willing to pay?

$LAWYER won’ t blink at paying $250/hour for 2 hours of work to configure a router. I’ve done so for several of them.

They also don’t blink at billing their clients much more than that per hour.

Owen