Theorical question about cyclic dependency in IRR filtering

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:05:13 UTC 2021

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 3:20 AM Ben Maddison <benm at workonline.africa> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On 11/29, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 8:14 AM Job Snijders via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Anurag,
> > >
> > > Circular dependencies definitely are a thing to keep in mind when
> > > designing IRR and RPKI pipelines!
> > >
> > > In the case of IRR: It is quite rare to query the RIR IRR services
> > > directly. Instead, the common practise is that utilities such as bgpq3,
> > > peval, and bgpq4 query “IRRd” (https://IRRd.net) instances at for
> example
> > > whois.radb.net and rr.ntt.net. You can verify this with tcpdump. These
> > > IRRd instances serve as intermediate caches, and will continue to
> serve old
> > > cached data in case the origin is down. This phenomenon in the global
> IRR
> > > deployment avoids a lot of potential for circular dependencies.
> > >
> > > Also, some organisations use threshold checks before deploying new
> > > IRR-based filters to reduce risk of “misfiring”.
> > >

> > beyond just 'did the filter deployed change by +/- X%'
> > you probably don't want to deploy content if you can't actually talk to
> the
> > source... which was anurag's proposed problem.
> >
> The point that Job was (I think?) trying to make was that by querying a
> mirror for IRR data at filter generation time, as opposed to the source
> DB directly, the issue that Anurag envisioned can be avoided.
>
> I would recommend that anyone (esp. transit operators) using IRR data
> for filter generation run a local mirror whose reachability is not
> subject to IRR-based filters.

yup, sure; "remove external dependencies, move them  internal" :)
you can STILL end up with zero prefixes even in this case, of course.

> Of course, disruption of the NRTM connection between the mirror and the
> source DB can still result in local data becoming stale/incomplete.

yup!

> You can imagine a situation where an NRTM update to an object covering
> the source DB address space is missed during a connectivity outage, and
> that missed change causes the outage to become persistent.
> However, I think that is fairly contrived. I have certainly never seen
> it in practise.

sure, there's a black-swan comment in here somewhere :)
The overall comment set here is really:
  "Plan for errors and graceful resumption of service in their existence"
  (and planning is hard)