AWS and IPv6

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Nov 29 00:13:49 UTC 2021

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 3:52 PM Matt Palmer <mpalmer at hezmatt.org> wrote:
> Which is, fundamentally, half the problem with IPv6 in AWS.  I'd have much
> preferred that they'd added the ability to do actually-useful IPv6 routing
> rather than IPv6-only subnets, which strikes me as more of a toy than
> something *actually* useful.

Yeah, they don't even have a practical way to implement a firewall
instance for IPv6. Unless you want to mirror 1:many NAT for IPv6 like
you do IPv4. You just can't route an IPv6 block to an instance. And
with 1:many NAT you wouldn't want public IP addresses inside but AWS
doesn't let you assign ULA addresses inside the subnet, only global
addresses.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--