IPv6 and CDN's

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Nov 28 21:45:44 UTC 2021

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 1:28 PM Dave Bell <me at geordish.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 at 13:00, Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
>> That facebook poorly managed their DNS to cause the recent disaster
>  I don't want to wade into the middle of this argument, but has
> there been more information about the recent facebook outage
> released that I missed? All I've read seems to say that the loss of
> connectivity to their DNS servers was a symptom, rather than the
> cause of the outage.

Hi Dave,

You haven't missed anything. Facebook broke its backbone by mistake.
Before they could restore it, the DNS records went stale and the
now-stale servers withdrew themselves from the network as Facebook
designed them to do when the records go stale. Unfortunately for
Facebook, the internal servers did the same thing as the external
ones. This broke the authentication system which in turn broke
everything else, complicating their efforts to access the various
systems including the ones they could have copied and pasted IP
addresses from.

But, to hear Masataka tell it, copy and paste hasn't been invented yet
so we all type IP addresses by hand on our vt100 CRT terminals.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin