IPv6 and CDN's

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sun Nov 28 16:55:05 UTC 2021

On 11/28/21 16:20, Jean St-Laurent via NANOG wrote:

> I like to put some servers behind that scheme.
>
> 2601::443:xxxx for https servers
>
> 2601::25:xxxx for MTA servers.
>
> 2601::993:xxxx for IMAP
>
> It gives a quick note of what is that ip even though it’s ipv6 and
> usually non-human readable.
>
> Not sure what kind of scheme is use by medium/big ISP.
>
> Do you go by zip code of the area covered or some kind of logical to
> help people know what is behind that ipv6 network?

We really aren't clever with IPv6 address design and assignment. The
most we do is assign:

     - 1x /48 to Loopbacks for all routers.
     - /48's per PoP for infrastructure links.
     - /48's per city for /56 assignments to customers.
     - /48's per city for assignments to customers.

We don't try to co-ordinate them in a "meaningful" way that would offer
visual identification. We feel that is just too much work, and that
getting IPv4/IPv6 parity for day-to-day operations is a challenge in and
of itself, without trying to be fancy.

Mark.