IPv6 and CDN's

Oliver O'Boyle oliver.oboyle at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 19:33:58 UTC 2021

On Sat., Nov. 27, 2021, 13:34 Michael Thomas, <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 11/27/21 7:46 AM, Scott Morizot wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 6:51 PM Oliver O'Boyle <oliver.oboyle at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> They're getting better at it, at least. They also recently added v6
>> support in their NLBs and you can get a /56 for every VPC for direct
>> access. I don't think they offer BYO v6 yet, as they do for v4, but it will
>> come.
>>

> Since we are deploying BYO IPv6 in AWS, I can assure you they do offer it
> now. That was a blocker for us.
>
> I thought it had to be some virtual private cloud setup? To get the long
> tail it needs to be a lot more simple. Like "here is the AAAA record" after
> autoconf.

Well, VPC is the only deployment model now. EC2 Classic is long gone
(though some long-time legacy customers may still have it as an option). If
you create an account, you get a default VPC. You can use it or create
another with a few clicks. Prefixes get assigned upon creation but you can
add more afterwards. It's actually pretty straightfoward. Setting up basic
DNS in Route53 is also pretty straightforward. There are no real barriers
up to this point.