IPv6 and CDN's

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Nov 26 23:20:18 UTC 2021

On 11/26/21 3:11 PM, Ca By wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 6:07 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>

>     On 11/26/21 1:44 PM, Jean St-Laurent via NANOG wrote:
>>
>>     Here are some maths and 1 argument kicking ass pitch for CFO’s
>>     that use iphones.
>>
>>     *Apple tells app devs to use IPv6 as it's 1.4 times faster than IPv4*
>>
>>     https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-tells-app-devs-to-use-ipv6-as-its-1-4-times-faster-than-ipv4/
>>
>>     Build around that maybe?
>>

>     This really hits my bs meter big time. I can't see how nat'ing is
>     going to cause a 40% performance hit during connections. The
>     article also mentions http2 (and later v3) which definitely make
>     big improvements so I'm suspecting that the author is conflating them.
>
>     Mike
>

> Ok, take the same ipv6 is faster claim from facebook
>
> https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2015/04/facebook-news-feeds-load-20-40-faster-over-ipv6/

Still really thin with details of why. At least this says that they are
NAT'ing v4 at *their* edge. But 99% of the lag of filling your newsfeed
is their backend and transport, not connection times so who knows what
they are actually measuring. Most NAT'ing is done at the consumer end by
your home router in any case.

Mike