anyone use fbtracert successfully?

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Wed Nov 24 17:18:41 UTC 2021

The tool fbtracert (http://github.com/facebookarchive/fbtracert) was mentioned here recently as a way to get visibility into multi-pathing.
Has anyone here ever used this tool successfully?

Supposedly Facebook uses this tool internally, but… that doesn’t help much.

I’ve tried it on 4 different platforms/OSes (WSL Ubuntu; RedHat; Debian; OpenBSD), and versions of Go (v1.10 through v1.16), in three very different environments (on-prem public IP; on-prem NAT’d; cloud public IP), and I’ve yet to see it produce any meaningful output – each run/iteration/thread only detects one, single, hop out of the entire chain of routers, making it less than useful.  Granted, that’s not a full regression test by any means, but if anyone here has ever used it successfully, could you please let me know what sort of environment you ran it in/on?

Thanks,
-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[1593169877849]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson at merlin.mb.ca<mailto:athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>