fun with TLDs and captive portals was, Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Nov 24 02:28:51 UTC 2021

It appears that Francis Booth via NANOG <boothf at boothlabs.me> said:
>So we know RFC 2606 defined reserved TLDs like .lan and .home so there

Um, this must be a different RFC 2606 than the one the rest of us have read.
It mentions neither .lan nor .home.

>In order to solve the chicken/egg problem of having to know your IPv6
>prefix and the address assigned to your router dynamically for
>nontechnical users to reach their router configuration pages, ...

SLAAC lets hosts find their prefix and router and optionally other
stuff like the DNS servers.  See RFC4862.  This is a thoroughly solved problem.
If your router is a captive portal like at a coffee shop and client devices
need to open a web page to log in, see RFC 8910.

R's,
John