Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

Eliot Lear lear at ofcourseimright.com
Sun Nov 21 08:33:14 UTC 2021

Greetings John and all

On 18.11.21 21:54, John Gilmore wrote:
> We succeeded in upgrading every end-node and every router in the
> Internet in the late '90s and early 2000's, when we deployed CIDR.  It
> was doable.  We know that because we did it!  (And if we hadn't done it,
> the Internet would not have scaled to world scale.)

I want to highlight one (hopefully) entertaining point.  There is
evidence in Geoff's and Tony's graphs of when all of this happened
because there was a drop in the number of routes in 1994.  If you
squint, you can see it here <https://bgp.potaroo.net/> just at the lower
left-hand side of the graph.  It's really funny to me because the scale
of that graph has changed *dramatically* – bordering on two orders of
magnitude.  At the time the dip was a substantial percentage of the
routes at the time.

I will also point out that even though endpoints by-and-large were not
involved, keeping the routers from falling down nevertheless was the
result of an enormous effort and collaboration between researchers,
developers, and operators, who I doubt very much would ever want to
repeat that sort of experience.

Eliot