Class D addresses? was: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

james.cutler at consultant.com james.cutler at consultant.com
Sun Nov 21 02:06:57 UTC 2021

On Nov 20, 2021, at 3:50 PM, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

> In the early to mid 90's it was still a crap shoot of whether IP was going to win (though it was really the only game in town for non-lan) but by when I started at Cisco in 1998 it was the clear winner with broadband starting to roll out. It was also obvious that v4 address space was going to run out which of course was the core reason for v6. So I don't understand why this didn't get done then when it was a *lot* easier. It sure smacks of politics.
>
> Mike

In the in the 90s and into early 21st century Hesitancy toward IPv6 was partly technical, partly political, but mostly, Middle Management Myopia™. The rallying cry was, “Not on my cost center until I have a contract.” Subsequently, $DAYJOB company would/could not demonstrate IPv6 capability.

My $DAYJOB company no longer exists.

How many other companies will cease to exist as the world passes by them?