Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Fri Nov 19 23:55:27 UTC 2021

> It may help IPv6 deployment if more V4 addresses are eventually
> released and allocated

No, it won't.

The biggest impediment to IPv6 adoption is that too many people invest too
much time and resources in finding ways to squeeze more blood from the IPv4
stone.

If tomorrow, RFCs were changed so every last address in the V4 space that
could be re-purposed for public use was :

- Every last one of these new IPs would be allocated years before the
majority of network devices and end hosts received software updates to work
properly.
- In the interim, a messy situation would exist with different endpoints
unable to reach endpoints numbered in these spaces , creating operational
nightmares for ISPs who frankly already have operational nightmares.
- At the end of this period when it's all figured out, we're right back
where we started. IPv4 will again be completely exhausted , and no more
going back to the well to redefine sections to get more of it.

IPv6 isn't perfect. That's not an excuse to ignore it and invest the
limited resources we have into Yet Another IPv4 Zombification Effort.