Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Fri Nov 19 21:13:12 UTC 2021

Subject: Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public Date: Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 12:26:23PM -0800 Quoting John Gilmore (gnu at toad.com):
> =?utf-8?B?TcOlbnM=?= Nilsson <mansaxel at besserwisser.org> wrote:
> > The only viable future is to convert [to IPv6].  This is not
> > group-think, it is simple math.
>
> OK.  And in the long run, we are all dead.  That is not group-think, it
> is simple math.  Yet that's not a good argument for deciding not to
> improve our lives today.  Nor to fail to improve them for tomorrow,
> in case we live til then.

The math is true today. Most people now have more devices than they have
IP addresses. (And reachability should be choice, not shortage
consequence) Increasing the available address space by at most a few
percent at the price of a flag day is not a good return. (unless you
are in a position to profit from the shortage, at which point all these
crutch proposals look irresistible if not from a technical standpoint)
Increasing the address space 79228162514264337593543950336 times at
the price of rolling software upgrades that actually mostly are done
(I haven't bought or commissioned non-v6 gear for 15 years now), even
if there's a lot left to turn on and configure, is a slightly better
proposition.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668