Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Fri Nov 19 16:05:16 UTC 2021

Nick Hilliard wrote:
> Joe Maimon wrote on 19/11/2021 14:30:
>> Its very viable, since its a local support issue only. Your ISP can
>> advise you that they will support you using the lowest number and you
>> may then use it if you can....all you may need is a single
>> patched/upgraded router or firewall to get your additional static IP
>> online.
>
> That would be an entertaining support phone call with grandma.

Starting to get annoyed with ageism from tech nerds. Lots of grandma and
grandpa computer geeks in existence these days. I think its time we
start using great-grammy instead.

> So, she gets a new CPE which issues 192.168.1.0 to her laptop and .1
> to her printer, and then her printer can no longer talk to her laptop.

So she has a datacenter cab with a cat6a multi-gig drop and the ISP
included in the price an on-link public /30, but more is gonna cost her,
and this is for the non-profit she is running out of her SSI.

Now she gets to use her link with two IP addresses instead of one,
although she may have to click update firmware from the device's web
interface, which might be harder than you think since she grew up using
punch cards and these new fangled mouse thingies are a pain in her
arthritic fingers, she'll take a CLI any day.

She might use that for a redundant router, or for the second 443 port
mapping inevitably required.

Two can play the fake anecdote game.

> I'm sure that the ISP would be happy to walk her through doing a
> firmware upgrade on her printer or that her day would end up better
> for having learned about DHCP assignment policies on her CPE.
>
> They could even email her a copy of the RFC and a link to the IETF
> working group if she felt there was a problem.
>
> Nick

ISP's may very well be inclined to advise customers that a free extra IP
is theirs for the taking should their equipment support it.

Best,

Joe