Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Nov 19 15:12:44 UTC 2021

Joe Maimon wrote on 19/11/2021 14:30:
> Its very viable, since its a local support issue only. Your ISP can
> advise you that they will support you using the lowest number and you
> may then use it if you can....all you may need is a single
> patched/upgraded router or firewall to get your additional static IP
> online.

That would be an entertaining support phone call with grandma.

So, she gets a new CPE which issues 192.168.1.0 to her laptop and .1 to
her printer, and then her printer can no longer talk to her laptop.

I'm sure that the ISP would be happy to walk her through doing a
firmware upgrade on her printer or that her day would end up better for
having learned about DHCP assignment policies on her CPE.

They could even email her a copy of the RFC and a link to the IETF
working group if she felt there was a problem.

Nick