Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Nov 19 13:57:54 UTC 2021

> On Nov 18, 2021, at 4:31 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>
> as a measurement kinda person, i wonder if anyone has looked at how much
> progress has been made on getting hard coded dependencies on D, E, 127,
> ... out of the firmware in all networked devices.

At least the E space is largely usable last I checked (eg: IOS-XR, JunOS).  You can even measure traceroutes that have the class-e space in them from some cloud providers if your network and the intermediaries don’t do u-rpf as well.

Most OS’es (MacOS, Linux, various *BSD) also permit this as well.  My understanding is that the RedmondOS may not handle this, but if you need to number your infrastructure these addresses may work well.

- Jared