Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Fri Nov 19 00:35:27 UTC 2021

On November 18, 2021 at 11:15 cabo at tzi.org (Carsten Bormann) wrote:
 > On 2021-11-18, at 00:29, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > This seems like a really bad idea
 >
 > Right up there with the FUSSP.

They do have one thing in common which is people will immediately
shoot down proposals because they would take TEN (pick a number) YEARS
to make any difference.

And they'll continue saying that for 20+ years every time it comes up
absolutely certain each time that it's a showstopper.

My take is people reflexively don't like change, they tend to not like
others' solutions (the NIH reaction), and if they can get past those
they certainly want only a solution which can be deployed in a very
short period of time, likely to make a difference in a year or two if
not sooner, at no "cost".

Which is how we get things like yet another layer of encryption since
they're invariably voluntary (DO/DON'T, WILL/WON'T designs, default
DON'T), just cobbled into some existing protocol so can be deployed
immediately at least by a handful of supporters w/o any disruption or
urgency. At least those are failsafe, when almost no one adopts it who
cares?

(I realize there's no encryption involved here IT'S AN ANALOGY, a
meta-observation, OK?)

 > https://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/you-might-be.html
 >
 > Someone should write a page like that about the FUSIAS (final ultimate solution to the IPv4 address shortage) proposals.
 >
 > Grüße, Carsten

I don't believe this is being proposed as a final...etc, just:

So long as we do have a shortage how might we at least not waste what
we do have so history doesn't laugh at us.

Let's engineer it to its inevitable depletion and not be even the
tiniest bit guilty of having exacerbated the runout in the vain and
futile hope that it might speed up IPv6 adoption.

--
        -Barry Shein