WKBI #586, Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 03:33:14 UTC 2021

I am sad to see the most controversial of the proposals (127/16) first
discussed here.

Try this instead?

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-lowest-address/

in my mind, has the most promise for making the internet better in the
nearer term.

Could I get y'all to put aside the 127 proposal and read that over, instead?

It's ok, I'll wait...

There were two other proposals concerning 240/4 and 0/8 also worth
reading for their research detail and attention to history.

The amount of work required to make 240/4 work in most places is now
very close to zero, having been essentially completed a decade ago.
240/4 and 0/8 checking is not present in the SDN codes we tried, and
we ripped the 0/8 check out of linux 3? 4? years back. Saves a few ns.

All but one iOt stack we tried worked with these, many of those stacks
still lack, or have poor ipv6 support. esp32 anyone?

Just as ipv6 today is not globally reachable, these address spaces may
never be globally reachable, but defining a standard for their
potential sub-uses
seems like a viable idea.