strange scam? email claiming to be from the fbi

Michael Wayne nanog at wayne47.com
Tue Nov 16 15:40:16 UTC 2021

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 11:02:49AM -0500, Glenn McGurrin via NANOG wrote:
> I had a bit of an odd one this morning, I received two emails through
> contacts listed in whois subject: "Urgent: Threat actor in systems" from
> "eims at ic.fbi.gov".  I was all set to ignore them as an odd bit of spam

Private reply.

Having had several interactions with the FBI (and a few other TLA), they
have confirmed that they never use email for critical communications like
these.

So you can relax if you get email from the IRS, FBI or most any
other government agency. As federal agencies, they use the US Mail.
The SBA is an exception; they do use email to request and communicate
information.