DNS hijack?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sat Nov 13 14:15:43 UTC 2021

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote on 13/11/2021 09:25:
> To my mind, I simply don't understand why some people continue to use
> Network Solutions, with the track record they have.

indeed.

one aspect of this is that it's unusually difficult to migrate away
compared to other registrars.  Only Primary Contact accounts can request
an auth code - normal "admin" accounts can't, and there's no indication
about how to work around this; they unnecessarily delay issuing the epp
code for 5 days; there are several prominent options for renewing the
domain (can't change your mind if you do this), and only one for
transferring (lots of options to change your mind). During the transfer
process, several emails are issued, all which lead back to renewal.
When it's all completed, the only way to formally close an account is
over the phone.

Also, the exorbitant renewal pricing isn't available until you log in.
And you will need to prepare for a shock if the domain expires (no
notification to standard "admin" contacts either).  I had this little
gem from NetSol for an expired domain last year:

https://i.imgur.com/Vtp7BX7.png

I.e. $36 for reinstatement and $40 for 1y renewal.  The other option was
losing the domain entirely.

There are plenty of other registrars which are completely super to deal
with.

Nick