DNS hijack?

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Sat Nov 13 00:37:07 UTC 2021

On 11/12/21 8:33 AM, Jeff Shultz wrote:
> I still think that this is not the correct way for NetSol to handle this
> situation, particularly since the pages they put up look like phishbait
> designed by Austin Powers.

I didn't see the page, but for what it's worth, this is governed by this
ICANN policy:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/errp-2013-02-28-en

Particularly 2.2.4:

"In interrupting the DNS resolution path of the registration, if the
registrar directs web traffic to the domain name to a web page while the
registration is still renewable by the RAE, that web page must
conspicuously indicate that the domain name registration is expired and
provide renewal instructions."

If it didn't meet that requirement, you could complain to ICANN about it.

(You're also more generally right that what Network Solutions is doing
here is horrible. Decent registrars don't redirect traffic: they simply
set the domain name to clientHold so that it doesn't appear in the DNS
at all, because otherwise they're breaking your stuff -- and what's
worse, breaking it in a way that may take some time to recover from even
after you renew the domain name, due to DNS caching.)

--
Robert L Mathews