New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Mon May 31 09:32:34 UTC 2021

On 31.05.2021 06.52, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 5/29/21 00:38, Lady Benjamin Cannon of Glencoe, ASCE wrote:
>
>> 8 billion fiber drops for 8 billion people.
>
> Technically speaking, 8 billion people is not 8 billion households :-).
>
> But the bigger problem is getting fibre to every family in the world
> is not yet currently feasible.
>
> There is a reason developing markets have a lot more mobile phones
> than they have people, or the energy to charge them.

But why would the goal be fiber to every household? There are other ways
to deliver good internet. In fact all of the major platforms can do so:
fiber, coax, DSL, fixed wireless, 4G / 5G. The fiber platform will do so
naturally, the others may require some extra investment but are still
options.

Of course there are developing countries where the goal is any internet
at all. I hope that is not the case for US broadband.

Regards,

Baldur