New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sun May 30 12:00:43 UTC 2021

Well right, but what many seem to be disconnected with is where is the line between spending a few billion dollars per year and spending tens or hundreds of billions of dollars per year. We're conflating "minimum acceptable service" with "what I feel I need to be comfortable."

If we decide to raise it to 100/100, what do we get out of it?

Is it worth the cost?

Why 100/100? Wouldn't 10 megs of upload fulfill most of the new-found need? If not 10, wouldn't 15 or 20?

Historically, the bulk of the need for big residential upload was backing up to the cloud of various local archives. That's a one-time transaction. After that, the backups are incremental and insignificant for most uses.

A lot of people have a hard time not equating edge cases with normal. We then take that "normal" and then assume that happens everywhere and that if not, it's because of some devious scheme put in place. We'll have to realize that not everyone has 6 kids e-learning from home and has 14 Ring\Nest cameras streaming to the cloud while 10 people watch Amazon 4k video.

How many anecdotes are because of:
Poor in-home WiFi?
Inconsistent minimum bps?
Low peak bps?
High ms?
Inconsistent ms?
Packet loss?
Something else in the middle-mile?
Bad peering?
Trying to do something that probably shouldn't be done anyway?

Admittedly, many of the largest ISPs have done the bare minimum (or less) over the past 20 years. That does need to be fixed.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com