New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Fri May 28 18:55:57 UTC 2021

Once upon a time, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> said:
> "Bad connection" measures way more than throughput.
>
> What about WFH or telehealth doesn't work on 25/3?

More than one person in a residence, home security systems (camera,
doorbell, etc.) uploading continuously, and more.

I know multiple people that had issues with slow Internet during the
last year as two adults were working from home and 1-3 children were
also schooling from home.  Parents had to arrange work calls around
their kids classroom time and around each other's work calls, because of
limited bandwidth.

The time of the Internet being a service largely for consumption of data
is past.  While school-from-home may be a passing thing as the pandemic
wanes, it looks like work-from-home (at least part time) is not going to
go away for a whole lot of people/companies.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>