New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri May 28 14:02:10 UTC 2021

What is the rationale for changing it? Have the applications changed?
Has our use of them changed?

Yes, somewhat. There's been, and will continue to be, more cord cutting
of non-IP broadcast video services towards unicast IP streaming
services. However, video codecs have gotten more efficient so that what
used to require an 8Mbps stream now fits in a 4Mbps package. I see more
folks video conferencing (whether that be for personal or business use),
which relies more heavily on upload than most applications. Folks with
crummy WiFi or slower upload speeds have become the have-nots in this
remote work era. The goal of subsidies is to lift the base/minimum so
that there are fewer have-nots. Set the qualifier too low and you'll end
up providing assistance where it doesn't accomplish this goal. Raise the
qualifier too high too soon and you run the risk of excluding assistance
where it could help.

I'm content with 10Mbps down per person in the household (a quick rule
of thumb I've been using for a few years). If a common household has 4
people, 40Mbps download seems sufficient for today's typical usage (this
assumes a 10:1 download:upload ratio, so ~4Mbps up). Latency needs to be
quick enough for real-time voice or video calls to work smoothly. If the
makeup of our homes change or the applications we use within the home
change, I'm all for adjusting these figures. This still leaves DSL,
cable, fiber, and various wireless technologies as options that would
qualify for the definition of broadband. At some point, if one of these
technologies cannot keep up with the pace of demand it will need to be
excluded in favor of technologies that have done a better job of keeping
pace.

--B