New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Jim Troutman jamesltroutman at gmail.com
Fri May 28 00:54:49 UTC 2021

FCC Definition of “broadband Internet” always lags behind the reality of
actual user needs, by about a decade.

Various sources show that Internet bandwidth consumption increases at about
29% CAGR.

If you extrapolate from the previous increases and intervals of the FCC's
changes, the definition of broadband should be a minimum of 100Mbit/100Mbit
in 2021.

When I hear incumbent providers insisting that 25/3 is still good enough,
my answer is: "sure, I can agree with that, if you can do that PER DEVICE
in the home."

They don't like that argument.

The only reason 25/3 is still the FCC definition is because of lobbying by
those that are still limited by twisted pair copper infrastructure.

--
Jim Troutman,
jamesltroutman at gmail.com
Pronouns: he/him/his