Tier1 BGP filter generation data sources & frequency

babydr DBA James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Mon May 24 22:21:23 UTC 2021

 	Hello Jon ,

On Mon, 24 May 2021, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2021, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 02:04:32PM -0400, Luca Salvatore wrote:
>>> Curious if anyone is aware of other Tier1s deprecating support for RADB?
>>
>> Rather than deprecating RADB, I think the industry would be better off
>> if either RADB or the Tier1s (in their local caching layer) deploy IRR
>> database software capable of RPKI Origin Validation ala RIPE-731.
>
> I suspect the attitude is "why bother when we can just require that everyone
> use the IRR run by their RIR, rely on the RIR to not allow bogosity in thier
> IRR, and keep using our existing software, just limiting the IRR sources from
> which it'll accept objects?"

 	While I am not a big player (or even a bump in the road) in this group I
do find it rather odd that people & corporate entities allow (& sponsor)
another grab at ,  imo ,  taking over the proper way we as players in this
arena should be working WITH each other .  The "just leave it to big brother"
is just plain a cop out to laziness<whatever verb you'd wish to use> (agn imo) .

 	Sorry I'll say no more on the above as I'd just rant .

> BTW...speaking of MANRS, if there's someone on-list who can help out with
> some questions, I'd appreciate the contact.  For $work, I'd been talking to
> Kevin Meynell about our joining.  It fell through the cracks and recently
> popped back up.  Recent email to Kevin got no reply.  The MANRS web site
> could use quite a bit of clarification (or maybe just toss it and start
> over).

 	To be honest the manrs site left me feeling rather blase' ,  The place
that interested me is the Implementation Guide .  Which seems to be a compendium
of the [RFC|BCP]'s of the Proper way to maintain records at and with the entity
that dispenses the resource(s) being used .

> Also, I'm curious how common it is for networks to build IRR-based
> prefix-list filters for all their peers (i.e. IX peers, where you have lots
> of peers)?

> Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
> StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are

 	Twyl ,  Back to silent mode .  JimL