Tier1 BGP filter generation data sources & frequency

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon May 24 20:21:39 UTC 2021

On Mon, 24 May 2021, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 02:04:32PM -0400, Luca Salvatore wrote:
>> Curious if anyone is aware of other Tier1s deprecating support for RADB?
>
> Rather than deprecating RADB, I think the industry would be better off
> if either RADB or the Tier1s (in their local caching layer) deploy IRR
> database software capable of RPKI Origin Validation ala RIPE-731.

I suspect the attitude is "why bother when we can just require that
everyone use the IRR run by their RIR, rely on the RIR to not allow
bogosity in thier IRR, and keep using our existing software, just
limiting the IRR sources from which it'll accept objects?"

BTW...speaking of MANRS, if there's someone on-list who can help out with
some questions, I'd appreciate the contact.  For $work, I'd been talking
to Kevin Meynell about our joining.  It fell through the cracks and
recently popped back up.  Recent email to Kevin got no reply.  The MANRS
web site could use quite a bit of clarification (or maybe just toss it and
start over).

Also, I'm curious how common it is for networks to build IRR-based
prefix-list filters for all their peers (i.e. IX peers, where you
have lots of peers)?