DDoS attack with blackmail

Jean St-Laurent jean at ddostest.me
Sat May 22 14:19:19 UTC 2021

Some industries can’t afford that extra delay by DDoS mitigation vendors.

The video game industry is one of them and there might be others that can’t tolerate these extra ms. Telemedicine, video-conference, fintech, etc.

As a side note, my former employer in video game was bidding for these vendors offering DDoS protection. While bidding, we were hit with abnormal patterns. As soon as we chose one vendors those very tricky DDoS patterns stopped.

I am not saying they are working on both side, but still the coincidence was interesting. In the end, we never used them because they were not able to perfectly block the threat without impacting all the others projects.

I think these mitigators are nice to have as a very last resort. I believe what is more important for Network Operators is: to be aware of this, to be able to detect it, mitigate it and/or minimize the impact. It’s like magic, where did that rabbit go?

The art of war taught me everything there is to know about DDoS attacks even if it was written some 2500 years ago.

I suspect that the attack that impacted Baldur’s assets was a very easy DDoS to detect and block, but can’t confirm.

@Baldur: do you care to share some metrics?

Jean