IS-IS and IPv6 LLA next-hop - just Arista, or everyone?

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Tue May 4 15:28:46 UTC 2021

I don't believe APIPA and Link-Local are precisely equivalent, but I agree it's the closest thing IPv4 has.  IS-IS/IPv4 would presumably use APIPA addresses if nothing else were assigned to the interface, based on my reading of the RFC.  I'm unsure what the RFC authors think should happen in a HELLO packet when the interface has multiple IPv4 addresses, but none of that is my problem here.

I don't like LLAs because they are - intrinsically - meaningless.  In the context of my L3 core, I know that for any subnet, .1/::1 is such-and-such a router, .2/::2 is that one, .3/::3, is the other one, etc., etc.  (Yes, I have a very small & topologically simple L3 core.  Let's not talk about L2!)  When I look at my IPv4 routing table, I know which next-hop is which just by looking at it, and I can spot anomalies very easily.

When I look at my IPv6 routing table, the next-hops are all... well... gibberish, at least to me.  My experience is that LLAs are not durable, so memorizing them is not IMHO a useful task.  Figuring out an (IS-IS) IPv6 route currently involves a couple of extra steps to locate the LLA's interface route, find the MAC address of that LLA on that link, and then identify the router from its MAC address.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!
-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[1593169877849]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson at merlin.mb.ca<mailto:athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>