10 years from now... (was: internet futures)

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Tue Mar 30 16:12:19 UTC 2021

Greetings,

* Javier J (javier at advancedmachines.us) wrote:
> Since FiOS still doesn't do ipv6 (I don't bother checking anymore) I've
> used tunnelbroker since I was stuck on Comcast.

Called last week and, no, FiOS *still* doesn't do ipv6.  Seriously
ridiculous.

> I'm not running BGP since that's overkill for my home lab needs. just a
> tunnel with the /64 they give you and an addition /48.

Yeah, same, and fully get that renumbering will be annoying if FiOS ever
actually does ipv6 but I suspect it'd be worth it.  The HE.Net tunnel is
pretty good but there's still sometimes it goes out even though my FiOS
v4 is working fine. :/

> If I have to renumber, there are maybe just 4-5 places where an ipv6 is
> manually set. I'll just setup a new tunnel and change the router
> advertisement settings.

I'd probably just overlay the new addresses and then update DNS and wait
a couple of weeks, wouldn't really be that much of an issue.  If HE
actually takes away the tunnel, that'd be unfortunate but I'd just
remove the v6 addresses from DNS, most stuff should fall back to v4 just
fine.

Thanks,

Stephen