10 years from now... (was: internet futures)

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Mar 26 22:26:14 UTC 2021

On 3/26/21 21:42, Michael Thomas wrote:

> So the obvious question is what will happen to the internet 10 years
> from now. The last 10 years were all about phones and apps, but that's
> pretty well played out by now. Gratuitously networked devices like my
> dishwasher will probably be common, but that's hardly exciting. LEO
> internet providers will be coming online which might make a difference
> in the corners of the world where it's hard to get access, but will it
> allow internet access to parachute in behind the Great Firewall?
>
> One thing that we are seeing a revolution in is with working from
> home. That has some implications for networking since symmetric
> bandwidth, or at least quite a bit more upstream would be helpful as
> many people found out. Is latency going to drive networking, given
> gaming? Gamers are not just zitty 15 year olds, they are middle aged
> or older nowadays.

I'm expecting some kind of gubbermint drive in many parts of the world
(especially the developing world) to get as much free Internet in the
hands of citizens as they possibly can, largely driven by the effects
the Coronavirus had on economic productivity last year. This won't go
down easy, though.

Mark.