internet futures

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Mar 26 19:26:26 UTC 2021

On 3/26/21 19:58, Randy Bush wrote:

> in 2010, the internet society made some videos on possible internet
> futures ten years out, i.e. nowish.  nothing spot on, but themes
> can be seen for sure.
>
>      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB4zfGwctGc

The production style alone takes me back. I never owned a Blackberry,
but I just thought about it :-).

  * They were right about platforms becoming important (tablets, mobile
    phones, wearables, e.t.c.). What they didn't foresee was that
    platforms and traditional OS's would be outdone by the app. The app
    is now everything, and all platforms and OS's strive to do is make
    sure the app is front & centre, dulling the hardware and software
    fundamentals into the background.

  * I can see why they envisaged the Internet getting broken up into
    partitioned islands. What they didn't account for was that telco's
    would no longer be in charge of building the global network at
    scale, but rather, content folk.

  * They put a bit of stock in classic news still being relevant 10
    years on. I can see why. But hell, social media took care of that
    problem :-).

  * Where I would agree one of their assumptions "may" align with one
    niche - the newspaper - in 2021, is that news content will not be
    restricted to professional journalists, but also to regular folk who
    are granted some kind of access to publish on the digital version of
    a reputable paper. This, of course, is only if traditional news
    media still wants to promote the idea that quality news actually
    matters.

If the last decade is anything to go by, I'm keen to see what the next
one brings.

Mark.