OT: Re: Younger generations preferring social media(esque) interactions.

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Mar 24 18:32:13 UTC 2021

On 3/24/21 17:51, james.cutler at consultant.com wrote:

> An extension of Mark’s comments could include actually using a voice
> call if there really is an immediate need — voice message recording is
> built-in to many smart phones, wireless handsets, and VoIP services. .

And this is where - per my observations in Africa - that I realized that
formal literacy is not a prerequisite to digital literacy

A good chunk of folk in my region that own smartphones have never been
to a school, nor can they read or write in the technical sense. But they
all have smartphones, know how to use Facebook, WhatsApp, et al, and
communicate at speed using voice notes.

I'm not into voice notes, as I type fast or can make a phone call. But
for many others, especially folk who either are low on income or cannot
read or write English very well, voice notes make plenty of sense
because they are part of the messaging app's data bundle, they are easy
to use, they work, and they are fast.

And no, these users don't care about the infrastructure, until it tells
them that they are out of data and need to reload.

Mark.