OT: Re: Younger generations preferring social media(esque) interactions.

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Wed Mar 24 06:15:19 UTC 2021

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, 18:56 Grant Taylor via NANOG, <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> On 3/21/21 8:03 AM, Noah wrote:
> > Well baby boomers & gen-x will struggle to dump mail...I mean it simple
> > and just works.
>
> Indeed.
>
> There's also the fact that it comes to you as opposed to you going to it.
>
> > We were trying to get a community of newbie techies mostly millennials &
> > gen-z to actively engage on a list we subscribed them too for the past 2
> > years and believe me, I can count no more than 10 posts mainly from we
> > few mailing list folk...
> >
> > When we requested for feedback, them gen-z cried out loud for
> > interactions to happen on some social media app through groups or
> > channels, and since they are the target audience and the majority, we
> > settled for discord and telegram which they actively engage on :-).
>
> I must be ignorant as I don't grok this.
>
> Are they willing to use a (traditional) forum (of sorts) that is
> dedicated to the venue?  Or Are they wanting things to come to them
> wherever they happen to be today?  E.g. Facebook group, Discord, Slack,
> etc?

We only attempted to get them to be active on the mailing list and not
traditional forums...

But to be honest, they are more active on the messaging apps like Telegram
(which allows almost unlimited members per group or channel) and like I
said, discord and we move them to discord after trying slack channels.

Bottom line, the UI/UX seems to be what cuts for Gen-z members of our tech
community.

We still send important announcements via the mailing list for historical
and archiving purposes also to allow those who miss chat messages (without
scrolling through hundreds of chats messages)  to get such important posts
in their email inbox.

Noah