OT: Re: Younger generations preferring social media(esque) interactions.

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Mar 23 19:40:55 UTC 2021

On 3/23/21 1:44 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson via NANOG wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
>
>> If it's the latter, does that mean that you have to constantly keep
>> changing /where/ messages are sent to in order to keep up with the
>> latest and greatest or at least most popular (in your audience)
>> flavor of the day / week / month / year social media site?
>
> All good questions. I've been using IRC+email for 25+ years now and
> from what I can see, IRC has been replaced by slack/discord etc, and
> email has been replaced by Reddit or Github Issues discussions etc. I
> was on a project where the mailing list was shut down and all further
> discussions were pushed to github instead.
>
> I personally think the "web forum" format is inferior but that might
> be a way to reach out as well...

The big problem with mailing lists is that they screw up security by
changing the subject/body and breaking DKIM signatures. This makes
companies leery of setting the signing policy to reject which makes it
much easier for scammers to phish. The Nanog list is something of an
outlier in that they don't do modifications and the DKIM signature survives.

I wrote a piece about this a while back that companies should just set
p=reject and ignore the mailing list problem.