OT: Re: Younger generations preferring social media(esque) interactions.

Andy Ringsmuth andy at andyring.com
Tue Mar 23 18:45:33 UTC 2021

> On 3/22/21 11:22 PM, Cynthia Revström via NANOG wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As someone from a "younger generation" (2001) who does use mailing lists, semi-actively participates in RIPE mailing lists but also created a network community on Discord, I want to chime in here.
>>
>> > Are they willing to use a (traditional) forum (of sorts) that is
>> dedicated to the venue?  Or Are they wanting things to come to them
>> wherever they happen to be today?  E.g. Facebook group, Discord, Slack, etc?
>>
>> I haven't ever used facebook beyond receiving some invitation for an event, and I feel like that's the most common case for people around my age group. (not using Facebook that is)
>>
> I'm under the impression that for the younger generations that Facebook is deeply uncool. It's where grandma posts pictures of her knitting.
>
> Mike

Mike,

You hit the nail on the head right there.

Among the younger folk, the preferred methods and mediums of communication change faster than anything. MySpace two days ago, Facebook yesterday, Instagram today, Snapchat tomorrow, etc. etc. etc.

Migrate the infrastructure to InstaTwitSpit today and by the time it is all migrated, FaceSplatVue is all the rage.

Email has been here since the beginning of the ’net. It isn’t going away. Everyone knows how to use it. It is platform independent. It is not owned by Fuckerburg or Dorsey.

-Andy