Reinventing the wheel on a path to deeper learning

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Mar 23 16:01:21 UTC 2021

On 3/23/21 12:41 AM, Cynthia Revström via NANOG wrote:
> And while Discord is not at all a replacement for mailing lists in my
> opinion, I think it's important to realize that it (and other chat based
> things like it) have their place, especially among the younger groups.

I believe that chat / IM most /definitely/ have their place along side
mailing lists.  To me they serve different purposes.

IM(ns)HO chat is more real time, low latency, and low bandwidth
communications with immediate gratification.  Conversely mailing lists
are decidedly not real time, higher latency, and higher bandwidth
communications without the immediate gratification.

There's a 3rd form of communications that I've not seen (or missed) in
the discussions, that being the NANOG in person meetings.

To me, all three forms of communications have their uses and can
function as a compliment to each other.  However, none of them are
replacements for any of the others.

It's also important to remember that the types of information that pass
through each mode of communications are different.  As such, it might be
possible to actually improve the quality (SNR) of communications in each
mode if we gravitate towards the mode that best suits the need.  Real
time discussions of ongoing events (including the "me / here too"s) may
be better via Discord.  Summaries and longer running discussions are
probably better suited to a mailing list.  And nothing will beat in
person presentations at NANOG meetings (or recordings there of).

Perhaps we should spend a few minutes thinking about what question(s)
we're asking / point(s) that we're making.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die