Peering and Caching for Epic Games, Fortnite, et al

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Tue Mar 23 15:21:24 UTC 2021

> For an industry (online gaming) with the most "sensitive" customers to
> latency, packet loss, throughput, etc., the online gaming industry is
> terrible at peering.

That's because they often don't really need to.

Content and patch distribution is generally handled via a CDN. For
companies that run games with central hosted servers, those servers are
hosted in leased datacenter space, often behind a large provider's network.
Blizzard , for example, has (I believe) all of their US servers hosted in
ATT locations. Most other games either have their online bits in AWS, or
just do peer to peer communication.