OT: Re: Younger generations preferring social media(esque) interactions.

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Mar 23 12:49:35 UTC 2021

On 3/23/21 11:35, Cynthia Revström wrote:

> I think this is at least partially true, but I think it is more not
> wanting to be disrespected at the time they ask these questions.
> No one was born with this kind of knowledge, and everyone was clueless
> at some point in time.

Totally agree.

It is the result of the centuries of an industrial revolution that has
shaped us to consider anything less than expertise as being considerable
of anyone's time.

The kids have grown up in an age where information is democratized,
i.e., you are far better off if you are curious and ask questions,
rather than assume you know everything and don't need to learn anymore.
Mobile messaging apps do not have this kind of pressure, compared to
your garden-variety, 30-year old mailing list concept.

Not to say that either is good or bad, but to realize what works for a
generation that is more focused on outcomes and solutions, rather than
outcomes, solutions, and many times, posturing.

> Also a permanent public archive is not a requirement of a mailing list
> even if it is common.

Indeed. However, "just for posterity" is not an uncommon reason why folk
that like mailing lists continue to do so.

> Also, at least I often feel like the more casual conversational chat
> format is easier than emails and this is the case for many of my
> friends as well.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Keeping it simple so you can reach your result faster and most
efficiently is often understood more by the kids than us geezers. While
we are fighting about whether Discourse or Mailman are appropriate, the
kids have probably dumped both and found something that gets them to the
promised land 5 seconds after they install the app.

We'd be remiss to ignore this approach.

Mark.