OT: Re: Facebook and other walled gardens

Andy Ringsmuth andy at andyring.com
Mon Mar 22 18:15:35 UTC 2021

> On Mar 22, 2021, at 12:51 PM, Ethan O'Toole <telmnstr at 757.org> wrote:
>
>> No. Use a communication method that is available globally, not proprietary and doesn’t require me to sell my soul to the devil simply to participate.
>
> In your case you would have to go to an E-Mail list... which for some takes more time to curate / read versus something that is driven by push notifications.

Well of course.

And, guess what - we have one at church.

But, being a church (meaning volunteers handling things) it is quick and easy for things to “just happen.”

What’s to stop #RandomSundaySchoolTeacher from starting a FB group for Sunday school kids/parents? Nothing. And then people glom onto it, and it becomes quasi-permanent and semi-official.

Ultimately it comes down to something which is definitely lacking in today’s world:

A brain.

Otherwise known as “common sense” or “critical thinking.”

One cannot solve a “people” problem with technology. We all know that. PEBKAC or “layer 8” problems. We’ve all been there. They aren’t going away. They will only get worse.

-Andy