OT: Re: Facebook and other walled gardens

Ethan O'Toole telmnstr at 757.org
Mon Mar 22 17:51:24 UTC 2021

> No. Use a communication method that is available globally, not proprietary and doesn’t require me to sell my soul to the devil simply to participate.

In your case you would have to go to an E-Mail list... which for some
takes more time to curate / read versus something that is driven by push
notifications.

Protips....

#1. BitlBee lets you access facebook messenger via IRC. You have to run
the server and connect to it via localhost.

#2. mbasic.facebook.com is your friend on mobile if you don't run their
messenger app but need to reach someone in a pinch.

Facebook was less annoying when they sent notificataion emails that
contained the actual information versus no information and a link to try
to lure you back.

           - Ethan