OT: Re: Facebook and other walled gardens

Andy Ringsmuth andy at andyring.com
Mon Mar 22 17:22:42 UTC 2021

> On Mar 22, 2021, at 11:02 AM, Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>
> I have a severe problem with professional communities /requiring/ me to have a Facebook, et al., account to participate in community discussions.

Not just “professional communities.” More like ANY communities.

Heck, our church uses a bunch of disjointed Facebook groups and it

DRIVES

ME

NUTS

I don’t have FB, won’t have FB and haven’t had FB for close to 10 years. An elderly member died last week and the only way I could get any updates on his situation was others telling me about it. Our pastor’s daughter is in the hospital, and same thing, he posts updates to his FB account, which is set so that only FB friends can see it. I have to call or text someone else in the congregation just to know what is going on.

“Blah blah blah if you wanna know what’s happening just get a FB account blah blah blah” people say.

No. Use a communication method that is available globally, not proprietary and doesn’t require me to sell my soul to the devil simply to participate.

Sigh. It is probably a losing battle. You kids get off my grass!

-Andy