OT: Re: Facebook and other walled gardens

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Mar 22 16:02:56 UTC 2021

On 3/22/21 8:00 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> most discussion in the WISP space has moved to Facebook

So ... a walled garden.

I have a severe problem with professional communities /requiring/ me to
have a Facebook, et al., account to participate in community discussions.

What am I supposed to do if I don't have / can't get / want to avoid
$WalledGardenInQuestion?  Am I forced to choose to break down and get an
account with $WalledGardenInQuestion XOR not participate in said
professional community?

What happens when $WalledGardenInQuestion changes policies or otherwise
disagrees with something or is decides to ban the country where I'm at?

I think that such walled gardens are a Bad Idea™.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die