OT: Re: Younger generations preferring social media(esque) interactions.

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Mar 22 15:55:02 UTC 2021

On 3/21/21 8:03 AM, Noah wrote:
> Well baby boomers & gen-x will struggle to dump mail...I mean it simple
> and just works.

Indeed.

There's also the fact that it comes to you as opposed to you going to it.

> We were trying to get a community of newbie techies mostly millennials &
> gen-z to actively engage on a list we subscribed them too for the past 2
> years and believe me, I can count no more than 10 posts mainly from we
> few mailing list folk...
>
> When we requested for feedback, them gen-z cried out loud for
> interactions to happen on some social media app through groups or
> channels, and since they are the target audience and the majority, we
> settled for discord and telegram which they actively engage on :-).

I must be ignorant as I don't grok this.

Are they willing to use a (traditional) forum (of sorts) that is
dedicated to the venue?  Or Are they wanting things to come to them
wherever they happen to be today?  E.g. Facebook group, Discord, Slack, etc?

If it's the former, okay, that's a web UI / UX as opposed to mail UI / UX.

If it's the latter, does that mean that you have to constantly keep
changing /where/ messages are sent to in order to keep up with the
latest and greatest or at least most popular (in your audience) flavor
of the day / week / month / year social media site?

Either way, does the target audience that you're talking about actively
go to said site(s) (I want to say watering hole) and poll them?

Or are they using some phone / device app that polls them and puts a
notification over the icon?

I'm asking from a place of ignorance as I really don't understand this
mentality.

Part of my struggle is that I fail to see how it scales to poll multiple
sites (or app icon notifications) when there are 10s, 100s, or even more
things to check.  This is /exactly/ one of the reasons that I *strongly*
/prefer/ email, it comes to me and gets filed in the proper folders.
Where messages sit waiting to be read with the folder indicating that
there are unread messages in it.  I then go read them when it's
convenient for me to do so.  But most importantly, I don't have to go
check multiple -> many places.  The unread notification / count
percolates up to one single location.

Any additional insight that you can provide would be appreciated.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die