Perhaps it's time to think about enhancements to the NANOG list...?

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sun Mar 21 14:03:39 UTC 2021

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021, 16:30 Willy Manga, <mangawilly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 21/03/2021 16:00, nanog-request at nanog.org wrote:
> > Message: 13
> > Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 12:46:57 -0600
> > From: David Siegel <arizonagull at gmail.com>
> >[...]
> > The board has been thinking about enhancements to the NANOG list for a
> > couple of years now, with the goal of creating a modern interface that
> the
> > younger generation of engineers will be more comfortable using.
>
> May I suggest that if you *really* want such enhancement, perhaps
> upgrade the mailing-list to mailman3.
> It's still mailman but with those 'modern' features.
>
> But more importantly (not only for NANOG by the way), maybe some kind of
> 'mailing-list 101' can be helpful sometimes. Many $vendors are fighting
> hard to make people forget what an email is.

Well baby boomers & gen-x will struggle to dump mail...I mean it simple and
just works.

We were trying to get a community of newbie techies mostly millennials &
gen-z to actively engage on a list we subscribed them too for the past 2
years and believe me, I can count no more than 10 posts mainly from we few
mailing list folk...

When we requested for feedback, them gen-z cried out loud for interactions
to happen on some social media app through groups or channels, and since
they are the target audience and the majority, we settled for discord and
telegram which they actively engage on :-).

We still maintain the mailing list though and most announcement are done
via it but things are changing hey....

Noah