Perhaps it's time to think about enhancements to the NANOG list...?

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sun Mar 21 06:48:39 UTC 2021

And some of the lessons of group creation on USENET was:

1. You don't create a sub-topic to try to generate discussion. So for
example you don't create talk.baseball.redsox because no one ever
posts about the redsox in talk.baseball. It doesn't work. Not really
relevant here tho it might become relevant.

2. You create a sub-topic to split large amounts of traffic like when
there's just too much talk about the redsox and yankees in
talk.baseball so you create talk.baseball.redsox and
talk.redsox.yankees so those discussions can find each other. It's
generally best when you're trying to split an overflow of traffic
rather than enumerate or classify it or enforce some policy.

3. You don't create a sub-topic because some people don't want to see
certain posts like talk.baseball.fights hoping to draw talk of
on-field fights off talk.baseball.

I think what's going on here is #3 mostly trying to pose as #2 and
probably is unwise because it probably won't work plus or minus how
much one can try to force the occasional off-topic poster off the list
or to shame them.

That is, people will seek their audience.

P.S. Getto was a (mostly involuntary) Jewish neighborhood in Venice,
Italy which is where the term Ghetto derives. I've been there
(voluntarily.) "Getto" means "foundry" in Italian, it was a less
desirable area because of the foundry there.

--
        -Barry Shein