Perhaps it's time to think about enhancements to the NANOG list...?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Mar 20 17:36:13 UTC 2021

On 3/20/21 9:54 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> That seems like a reasonable proposal. NANOG-OffTopic, NANOG-Discuss,
> NANOG-BizDev, NANOG-xyz, something (more more than one something).

The NANOG list seems to be leveraging Mailman, which does support topics.

The topic feature allows you to subscribe to individual topics that
you're interested in and specify if you want to receive messages that
don't match any possible configured topic or not.

There is a relatively simple method to scan incoming messages and
auto-populate the header that Mailman is looking at to determine topics
so that people do not need to remember to set them.

I have had good luck with this methodology in the past.  I would suggest
trying it before splintering off to multiple NANOG subsidiary lists.

Other than that, I support a NANOG-Discuss list so that NANOG
(announcement / broadcast) list has a higher operations SNR.

But topics.  I believe they are an under utilized feature of Mailman.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die