Perhaps it's time to think about enhancements to the NANOG list...?

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Sat Mar 20 15:10:17 UTC 2021

On 3/20/21 6:13 AM, Niels Bakker wrote:
> * rsk at gsp.org (Rich Kulawiec) [Sat 20 Mar 2021, 14:03 CET]:
>> 2. This is a low-traffic list, so even without appropriate mail client
>> support it's really not a big deal.
>
> The volume isn't the point, the S:N ratio is. Mails like this thread's
> starter are off-topic and reduce the value of the list to its
> subscribers. Your reasoning is easy, common and fallacious.

Speaking of "this thread's starter" -- unless I've lost track of the
thread here completely haha -- this all got started because one
infrequent poster decided that he had to be Hall Monitor(tm) and chide
others about List Etiquette(tm)

My personal solution to that Hall Monitor remains the same as it's been
for $very_long_time

Thunderbird Email --> Message Filters --> Select Filter "NANOG"

Thunderbird Email --> Message Filters "NANOG" --> add Hall Monitor

Thunderbird Email --> Message Filters "NANOG" --> add offending thread
subject

Thunderbird Email --> [select Folder "NANOG"]

Thunderbird Email --> Tools --> Run Filters on Folder

**poof**

I'm sure those who are more cunning can figure out something with
procmail and mutt and all, but I'm older now and more ... gooey...

- John